You’ve been cooped up all winter but now the sun is shining, the flowers are blooming and you want to go outside! Luckily, May just happens to be National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. What better time to make a renewed commitment to an active lifestyle? If you are ready to get more physical activity into your family’s routine, there are plenty of great, creative ways to get moving together.
First, look for community events in your area. Sign up for a local 5k with your family, as many allow children to participate and may allow runners and walkers with strollers if your little one is still too young. Local parks may offer events or sports team registrations, as well, to help get your family out of the house and moving.
Aside from official events, there are many ways to get outside and start working on physical fitness:
- Take a nature walk in a State or National Park.
- Go for a family bike ride or walk while your little ones ride around you.
- Play on the playground equipment with your kids. Go down the slide, swing, climb!
- Encourage your children to sample a new sport instead of specializing too young.
- Invest in some old-fashioned yard games like croquet or badminton.
- Ask your teens to teach you the new dances. Learn them together – this is also a great way to get a good laugh!
- Park on the outskirts of the parking lot, or get off the bus one stop early and walk.
- Put on music and hand wash the car together.
- Go swimming.
- Get outside and play catch. This is also a great way to talk to one another as you toss the ball back and forth.
- Play hopscotch, four-square, follow-the-leader, or tag.
- Play basketball or shot game, such as HORSE.
- Hula hoop.
- Jump rope – maybe learn double Dutch.
- … and more!
One fun, unique idea to try is a movie workout. Start your favorite movie or TV show and follow specific instructions for exercising in response to the show. For example, in the Harry Potter workout, you might do 10 crunches every time someone says Harry’s name, 20 jumping jacks when Hagrid mentions an animal or jog in place whenever Snape is on screen. Search for the name of your favorite show and “workout” on Google or Pinterest for one of the dozens of workouts, or get creative together and come up with your own workout plan!
Regardless of the workout you choose, if you are moving, you are moving in the right direction. Make it active and make it fun. If you have any question or concerns about encouraging physical fitness in your family, please contact us.