Select Page

618-692-1212
2160 S. State Rte. 157, Suite B, Glen Carbon, IL 62034

We live in an increasingly toxic world with the chemicals in cleaning supplies, personal care products, medicines, or even natural toxins in plants and bulbs. Unfortunately, with the amount of dangerous things around us, accidental ingestion can happen, but with the proper precautions, you can keep your family safe.

Prevention Tips

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the best way to prevent accidental ingestion of toxic chemicals and medicines is to keep them out of reach of children. Keep all cleaning products, beauty products, medications, and other items posing a threat if swallowed or handled, on higher shelves or in cabinets that have been fitted with child-safe latches or locks. Other precautions that should be followed include:

  • Remember to read all directions and warnings on medications, and follow the dosage instructions carefully.
  • Educate your children about medication safety. Remind them they are not to take any medications without responsible adult supervision or consent.
  • Dispose of any unused medications or vitamins safely by mixing them with coffee grounds or kitty litter and throwing them away. You can also safely dispose of medications at National Drug Take-Back events.
  • Prevent poisoning by plants by keeping houseplants out of reach of small children and teaching them to keep all parts of the plant out of their mouths.
  • Store any plants or bulbs safely away from children and pets, and store away from the kitchen or any areas where food is prepared or consumed.
  • Remember to label all garden plants and bulbs clearly to avoid confusion with edible plants, such as onions or herbs.

What to Do If Poisoning Occurs

It’s important to remember that even when all safety measures have been performed, accidents can still happen. If your child has accidentally ingested something he or she should not have, remain calm. Make note of what your child ingested and, if possible, how much. Contact poison control at 1-888-222-1222. The helpline is open 24 hours a day and will provide you with advice on what, if anything, needs to be done to help your child. If your child is unresponsive or is having difficulty breathing, contact 911 immediately.

For more questions or any concerns about how to keep your family safe from household toxins, contact us today.